Sunday, May 11, 2014

Things that should never happen, and do.

So I hear  things happen for a reason. Reasons, beyond our control; that we wouldn't understand.  I choose to use the phrase "what am I supposed to learn from this?"

What are some of the things you never want to happen to you?

 Well, I can tell you without even thinking mine would be to be caught going to the bathroom when a fire alarm goes off. How do you shut mother nature off and run out a door? I can tell you!

A few weeks ago I had this exact experience. Started a new job and  wore a dress...which is not really my style. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. Although, if I can find a nice pair of shooties to wear with my jeans it's a sparklin' day. (Shooties-shoes that look like boots.Mine have a heel, not to high , juuuussstt right.)  Anyway,  so there I was in the girls room in the middle of relief and the fire alarm goes off. I'm thinking,  it's a drill, I have time. Nope, the boss raps on the door. "evacuate!"

(yes, that's exactly what I'm doing and these thing are on their own time table).

 The problem was not the "going" it was pulling things up and then pulling spanx down and then pulling down a dress that was multiple layers. Spanx are also on their own time table...I don't know how anyone quickly gets them back in place. They are tight for a reason.They are made to smooth all the squishies us women over 30 have earned. Ok, 35....yes, yes...40. Finally after making sure nothing was tucked where it shouldn't be I walk out the door. There is the boss waiting for me and telling me not only do we evacuate but we relocate. Across the road, on the corner, with the rest of the building. I get to the designated spot and there are all my coworkers,obviously, knowing I was in the girls room. My words of wisdom? "just so you know, if your in the bathroom and the fire alarm goes off....you can hear it".

 Silence.

Then I hear "awkward".

 ya think?

This is a once in a lifetime situation...right?
Maybe not.

Yesterday I was getting beautified. (my hair colored)  Now, to give you a visual, I have a lot of hair. Medium length and curly. When I get my hair done it's a process. Picture Bette Midler in Hocus Pocus, (minus the teeth)  Got it? ok, so there I am, hair wild, foil all over, sticking up everywhere and.....the fire alarm goes off.

 No! THIS is worse than getting caught with your pants down. (And I should know.)   All the girls in the shop are talking about the "hot firemen", which yes, I have a thing for firemen.  The  boss tells us we have to evacuate and "Izzy you go first. "
Nu-uh I'm going down with the building on this one. I am not letting those brave.good looking, rugged, shirtless, musclebound, suspender wearing firemen see me . At least I think they were, I didn't have my glasses on.

Turns out the alarm was for the business next door, there was no fire, we didn't need to evacuate and I got to stay in my chair and admire the fuzzy, blurred, firemen from afar.



So, what am I to learn from this?
1. Never wait until you MUST go. Go when you think you might need to.
2. Spanx are wonderful for holding things in place and  do not move anywhere. Even if you want them to.
3. Not all firemen walk around shirtless.
4. Always wear your glasses, cuz even if your hair is standing straight up and smelly a fireman will give you CPR and you don't want to miss the rugged, musclebound, suspender wearing, sauntering firemen working his way over to you, now do you.

Till next time,
Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment